Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Cool seminar...

As an academic and science geek I go to many seminars (although fewer now that I'm the "manny" for my kids afer school), but tonight I had the pleasure of attended a really different but thoroughly enjoyable seminar (at it was for me). No not scientific in any way, rather it satified my love for Second World War history; Sir Ian Kershaw was on campus to give a lecture on 'How and Why the Nazi's Fought on to the Bitter End'. Kershaw is a renowned historian/author who is a Professor in Sheffeld UK. His talk was truly captivating (again for me) and I guess all my reading has been doing some good because I wasn't at all lost in the mix of dates, personalities, political discussions, etc. I found it quite intellectually stimulating. Here's hoping MU gets a few more greats like Kershaw in the near future (apparently he has a friend at MU and has been here before a couple times - although I suspect he is also attending the WWII Conference at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans 10-12 April - I wish I could go!!).

No comments: