Wednesday, January 25, 2006

New Study: Auxins Do Not Relieve Nasal and Sinus Congestion Resulting from the Common Cold

UPI (12:43 AM EST) - A researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia has reported that the plant morphogen auxin (chemical identity; indole-3-acetic acid) can now be conclusively removed from any list that it might be on as a possible cure or relief for nasal and sinus congestion resulting from the "common cold". Professor N. O. Sheet told reporters, "I thought it might be worth finally putting to rest an idea, kicked around for a couple of decades in select circles, that the simple phytochemical and plant hormone auxin might hold the cure to the common cold." Prof. Sheet said, "I recently caught a nasty cold and my head felt just congested enough to do some tests...I wasn't surprised at the finding. I read several scientific papers devoted entirely to the role of auxin in axis formation during embryogenesis, but it did absolutely nothing for my pounding head. If anything my head felt more like an explosion waiting to happen after the tests than before, although I don't have any statistics to support this contention." If Prof. Sheet's findings hold up to the scrutinity of the scientific community it is nearly certain that his chances of wining one of the top prizes in science will continue to elude him.

No comments: